DHQ Teaching Hospital KDA Kohat was inaugurated on 12.09.2000 as Divisional Headquarter Hospital by the then Governor of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Mr. Syed Iftikhar Hussain Shah, with limited staff and equipment mostly shifted from Liaqat Memorial / Women & Children Hospital Kohat.
DHQ Teaching Hospital KDA Kohat is located on a Plateau at the foot of Kohat pass hills about 05 km North East of the old city of Kohat spread over an area of 242 kanals, having total beds strength of 449, of which 410 beds are functional presently, entertaining about 1500 patients pouring-in from District Kohat and adjoining districts of Karak, Hangu, newly merged Orakzai and Kurram districts, in OPDs and Accident & Emergency Department, on daily basis. The Hospital was declared a Teaching Institute for the medical faculty of KIMS in the year 2005.
Initially, it was a Category-B hospital and in the year 2012, the hospital was elevated to the status of Category-A. The required infrastructure was completed in August 2017.